Interested in working for a women-owned, mission driven, local food company? Do you have book-keeping and administrative skills? Consider applying for our Administrative Coordinator position!
About Us – Based in Durham, North Carolina, Firsthand Foods is a women-owned, mission driven company that helps local, pasture-based livestock producers get their meats to market. Our team shares a set of core values, including innovation, collaboration and accountability and we are passionate about doing our part to build a more sustainable and equitable meat industry. We operate within a dynamic team environment that requires high levels of communication, adaptability, strategic thinking and a sense of humor.
Position Description: The Administrative Coordinator is an integral member of the Firsthand Foods’ team and is responsible for the efficient and successful management of a wide variety of company-wide systems, including bookkeeping, data tracking and storage, and administrative projects. You will focus on organizing and recording financial transactions to ensure we get paid by our customers and, in turn, pay our farmers and vendors in a timely manner. You will exhibit attention to detail, excellent communication skills and an openness to learning and mastering company systems.
– Manage accounts receivable, including entering payments, tracking overdue invoices and communicating with customers about due dates and plans for payment.
– Manage accounts payable, including compiling and evaluating for accuracy distributor, processor and producer payments and paying all bills due.
– Enter expenses and assisting the CFO with reconciliations and tax liabilities.
– Manage credit card balances, mileage reimbursements and documentation requirements from vendors, customers and insurance providers.
Office Support & Administration
– Respond to public email and phone inquiries.
– Maintain stock of office supplies, including paper, snacks, water, etc….
– Pick up mail from the post office & invoices from supply chain partners, make bank deposits.
– Coordinate occasional mailings, run errands and assist with coordination of team gatherings & events.
– Take notes at company meetings.
– Manage organized systems for electronic file sharing.
– Assist with annual farmer, customer and employee surveys.
– Conduct critical filing, recordkeeping and data entry tasks.
– Track social and financial impact data in support of certifications and grant reporting.
Marketing Assistance & Special Projects
– Update product pricing across multiple platforms.
– Organize and maintain digital photography files.
– Assist with website updates, marketing campaigns & distribution of marketing materials to customers.
– Manage year-end customer gift project and on-line merchandise sales.
– Assist with management of marketing collateral inventory (e.g., posters, magnets, buttons).
– Demonstrate a consistent and enthusiastic ability to work as part of a team.
– Develop an ability to manage data across a variety of on-line platforms.
– Develop a comprehensive understanding of our mission, core values, products, and company practices, including production standards, supply chain arrangements, sales processes, and operational procedures.
Characteristics & Traits
Detailed, Organized, Diligent, Communicative, High Initiative, Adaptive, Confident, Service Oriented, Good Natured, Hard Working, Team-Player
Successful Candidates Must Have
Minimum 3 years experience, including 1 year of bookkeeping
Strong computer literacy, including Quickbooks, Excel & Google Drive
A strong interest in any of the following: local food, sustainable agriculture, B Corps or pasture-raised meats
Desirable (but not required)
Experience using Slack, Square, Word Press, and low tech design software such as Canva
Tina Prevatte Levy, COO/CFO
This is a full-time position. Salary commensurate with experience. $40 – $50K range.
Hours: Regular (9am – 5pm) business hours with the opportunity to flex.
Location: The Administrative Coordinator will work in Firsthand Foods’ Durham office. This is not a position conducive to working remotely however we have a collaborative team environment that allows for flexibility when needed.
Employee Benefits: Minimum 10 days of paid leave annually plus federal holidays, disability insurance, employer-sponsored retirement, bereavement leave, paid family & medical leave, $100 monthly credit toward meat purchases, and paid sabbatical (after 7 years of continuous service).
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 13th, 2023.