Tangy sauerkraut and buttery bratwurst make the perfect pair. It’s why my family and I seek out authentic German restaurants and why I created this recipe. I imagine that this meal—full of contrasting flavors and hearty goodness—would be our favorite in Germany, too. Bratwurst that is rich in flavor and made with great pasture-raised pork begs to be in the same pot with apples, sauerkraut and potatoes. Add in vinegary stone-ground mustard, and we’re transported to Germany. No plane ticket required.
This recipe, like many we offer, can be tailored to suit your palate. Authentic German meals of sausage and cabbage come in many forms. The template always starts with good bratwurst and includes a type of cabbage, a root vegetable, and white wine. Caraway seeds and apple give it a fall feel, but this dish can be served any time of the year. And, who doesn’t love a meal that can be made in one pot with minimal clean up?
• 8 Firsthand Foods Bratwurst
• 1 small red onion – sliced
• 1lb. Sauerkraut
• ½ apple – chopped
• 4 medium potatoes – peeled
• 2 Tbs. butter
• 2 Tbs. olive oil
• 1 tsp. caraway seeds
• ½ cup dry white wine
• 4 cups vegetable broth
• Salt & pepper
1. Drain the sauerkraut. Set aside.
2. Cut potatoes in half and then into 4 pieces.
3. Melt the butter and 1 Tbs. of the olive oil over medium heat in a 5 qt. Dutch oven. Add onion and sauté until softened. Add sauerkraut, apples, potatoes, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
4. Add the wine and 1 cup of the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and turn the heat down to low and cook for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
5. While sauerkraut mixture cooks, place bratwurst in a pan. Pour in the remaining 3 cups of vegetable stock and enough water to cover. Heat to a simmer and continue simmering for 20 minutes.
6. Drain bratwurst. Put 1 Tbs. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown bratwurst on each side.
7. Spoon the sauerkraut mixture onto a platter and place bratwurst on top of the sauerkraut. Serve with German mustard.