Beer Braised Brisket Tacos
Written by Stacey Sprenz,
- 5 lbs. Firsthand Foods Brisket
- 1 onion – quartered
- 5 garlic cloves – peeled, halved
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 c. light beer
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- Seasoning Rub:
- 1 ½ Tbs. Kosher salt
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 2 tsp. Spanish smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 275° F
- Combine ingredients for the seasoning rub and spread over both sides of the brisket rubbing the seasoning into the meat.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Once the oil is hot, sear the brisket on each side for about 2-4 minutes or until it releases easily and a crust has formed. Set aside.
- Pour off the oil and wipe out the Dutch oven. Place the pan back over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and stir to sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Place the brisket on top of the onions and garlic. Add the beer. Stir the espresso powder into the vegetable broth and pour into the pan. Place the lid on the pot and put in the oven on the center rack.
- Braise for 5 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Serve on corn tortillas with chopped onion, cilantro, salsa, and a squeeze of lime.