We’re Hiring a Part-Time Beef Network Coordinator to work with our remarkable network of beef producers and ensure a consistent, year-round, high-quality supply of pasture-raised beef for our growing markets. Candidates must have excellent communication skills and extensive background in forage management and methods for finishing beef cattle on pasture in the southeast. To apply, read the full position description below and send a cover letter detailing your interest in the position, your relevant experience and the skills and background that make you a good fit for the job. Letters can be sent to email@example.com.
About Us – Based in Durham, North Carolina, Firsthand Foods is a women-owned, mission driven company that helps local, pasture-based livestock producers get their meats to market. Our team shares a set of core values, including collaborating and innovating to build more sustainable and equitable supply chain relationships. We operate within a dynamic team environment that requires high levels of communication, adaptability, strategic thinking and a sense of humor.
Position Description – The Beef Network Coordinator will develop and maintain Firsthand Foods’ beef producer network in accordance with company protocols & quality requirements. This hire will exhibit extensive knowledge and background in beef cattle production, forage management and methods for finishing beef on pasture. You will build and maintain positive relationships with producers so they stay informed and connected to our company. You will be responsible for providing technical assistance to producers, providing them with meat quality feedback, and ensuring compliance with traceability requirements. In collaboration with company executives, you will plan annual beef commitments, manage our weekly beef schedule, and work closely with producers to manage harvest and haul dates to optimize the quality and volume of incoming meat.
- Provide technical assistance to producers regarding Firsthand Foods beef production standards and meat quality requirements and help troubleshoot issues that pertain to forage management, nutrition, genetic selection, animal welfare, etc…
- Maintain and cultivate a master schedule (annual and quarterly) for beef cattle deliveries and assist owners with projecting future cattle needs.
- Manage the weekly beef schedule, providing advance notice to producers and processors.
- Document producer practices and identify and communicate issues of concern to company executives.
- Provide and ensure completion of tracking paperwork for each producer, including affidavits, traceability forms and credit agreements.
- Provide producers with meat quality feedback and grading scores, calculate quarterly premium payments and NCCA assessment fees.
- Field calls & emails from potential new beef producers.
- Attend and represent Firsthand Foods, as needed, at industry meetings.
- Help trouble-shoot on-farm beef quality related-issues.
- Help organize and facilitate beef producer network meetings and educational events.
- Participate in company-wide quarterly all-team meetings and other discussions regarding efforts to continually improve Firsthand Foods’ production protocols and guidelines.
- Collaborate with Firsthand Foods’ Lamb and Pork Network Coordinators as needed, and perform all other duties assigned by the Company from time to time.
Characteristics & Traits:
Good Natured, Collaborative, Service Oriented, Organized, Detail-Oriented
Successful Candidates Must Have:
Minimum 5 Years Experience and/or Background in Beef Cattle Production & Forage Management
Strong Computer Literacy, including familiarity with Excel
Strong Social Skills, including excellent verbal communication and responsiveness via email and text.
Desirable (but not required)
Reside within reasonable proximity to our producers and company offices (i.e., north central Piedmont region).
Jennifer Curtis, Co-CEO & Co-Founder
This is a part-time position with flexible hours. Some travel (primarily in Piedmont region) required. Salary commensurate with experience.