We’re looking for a part-time local meat enthusiast!
Interested in working with an entrepreneurial food hub in Durham in support of small-scale livestock producers throughout North Carolina? Consider joining our dynamic team and gaining valuable food systems experience. See the formal position announcement below and send a polished resume & cover letter by January 29th to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Meat Operations Assistant
Firsthand Foods is a branded meat company that sells local, pasture-raised pork and beef to wholesale customers, including restaurants and retailers. Firsthand Foods sources animals from a network of remarkable farmers all of whom raise their animals humanely, on pasture without growth-promoting antibiotics or added hormones and utilizes the services of two USDA-inspected small-scale processors. In addition to selling wholesale, Firsthand Foods also operates a direct-to-consumer meat box program. For more information about our company, please visit www.firsthandfoods.com.
This is a part-time position (approximately 20 hrs per week) requiring day-time hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, with occasional work required on nights and weekends. Applicant must be able to easily lift 50 lb. boxes and tolerate working inside a cold storage unit. The Local Meat Operations Assistant will report directly to Firsthand Foods’ Co-CEOs Jennifer Curtis and Tina Prevatte.
• Must be comfortable using Excel.
• Must be highly organized and have strong communication skills.
• Commitment to excellent customer service.
• An interest in ethical and sustainable meat products.
• A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
The Local Meat Operations Assistant will be expected to:
• Take inventory of all meat products received by Firsthand Foods, including assistance with pallet transport into coolers via a pallet jack, unpacking boxes and entering product specifications into an inventory tracking system.
• Make real-time updates to inventory management system to track products from receipt to delivery.
• Pack and invoice restaurant, retail and meat box orders, ensuring full traceability of all products sold.
• Coordinate pick-up and delivery of wholesale orders with distribution partners.
• Deliver selected Triangle-based orders in company vehicle.
• Coordinate implementation of Firsthand Food’s direct-to-consumer program, including order packing and customer pick-up.
• Communicate clearly and in a positive & polite manner with all customers.
• Assist with maintaining accurate records of temperatures and delivery conditions as required by our food safety and cold-chain supply management protocols.
• Maintain a clean and organized inventory warehouse space.
• Understand policies & practices that are relevant to our mission and be able to articulate these to the general public as part of consumer education and outreach to connect local, pasture-based livestock producers with local markets.
• Participate in staff meetings and trainings.
Starting hourly rate is $10.50/hr. After a 3-month probationary period, if Assistant is meeting or exceeding all expectations, this hourly rate will be increased to $12.50/hr.
No benefits. Some paid vacation provided.
To apply, please send a resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the position title as the subject of your email. Deadline for all applications is COB Thursday, January 29th.